As the world grapples with the unfortunate crisis of the coronavirus pandemic which is continuously contributing to rising cases of job loss, the majority of families in Korogocho don’t consider sanitary towels an immediate need. Such is considered a luxury.
Also, the economic strain in families has put girls at a disadvantage where many have been cut off from essential sexual and reproductive health services as well as social networks.
In order to restore girl’s confidence, reduce cases of teen pregnancy and ensure retention in school to improve performance, MKK embarked on an exercise to mobilize and distribute sanitary pads to the needy girls in the following identified schools which are all in Korogocho- Daniel Comboni, Glory, Starlight, Big Pen, Maranatha, Rehema, Jirani primary schools and Glory Secondary school.
Donor: Africa Cotton, well-wishers
To restore girl’s confidence, reduce cases of teen pregnancy and ensure retention in school to improve performance
- Identification of schools
- Identification of needy school going girls
- Focus group discussions on menstrual health and hygiene with the identified girls
- Increase partnerships with: companies manufacturing sanitary pads (get trainings on how to manufacture), SRH institutions
- Initiation of sanitary pads drive both physical and on social media (in kind and cash)