+254 721 350 365
Some of the challenges facing youth in Korogocho:
1. Lack of education due to high level of poverty.
2. Girls engage in early and immature marriages due to lack of stability in their respective families.
3. Boys also tend to relinquish their stress through involving themselves in abuse of drugs.
4. Due to the hostile environment and extreme poverty young girls from the age of 9yrs engage in early sex
5. Some of them are forced into having sex by their parents to cater for the other siblings
6. Some of the girls opt to be street families after realizing their lives are not worth it.
7. Girls become pregnant and face increased risks and illnesses key reason for this is that young girl’s bodies
may not be mature enough to handle the stress of pregnancy and child birth.
8. Adolescents who become pregnant face increased risks and illness. A key reason for this is that young
girls’ bodies may not be mature enough to handle the stress of pregnancy and childbirth.
9. Due to the hostile environment girls are no longer safe in Korogocho a good example is the increased
cases of rape and sodomy to boys.
10. Early child bearing, unsafe abortion ,STDs and not forgetting HIV/AIDS threaten adolescents’ health
and future fertility for the girls of Koch.
11. Most or all girls in Koch lack parental guidance and are left to learn the hard way.